Saturday, September 20, 2008

Women and Cooking

What do I know about Cooking? Had you asked me that last year, I would have told you absolutely nothing. I can still hear the frustration in the voice of my mom everytime she asks me to do simple things in the kitchen or just to help out. I am deathly afraid of knives and flying oil. Just the word cooking and I pretend that I have tons of other things that I have to do. But that was before. 
Necessity is truly the mother of all inventions. We have this tradition, monthly, until our child reaches the age of 1where we celebrate their birthdate. We often cook the usual pancit and spaghetti. Can you imagine being unaffected by  the familiar taste of those dishes for 17 months? We had to learn to make a different dish! We were all suffering from Spaghetti and Pancit Taste Fatigue. We had someone who cooked carbonara for us before, but she wasn't available now since she moved to a different city. Due to necessity, I did the research and compromised on all the recipes I found in the internet to formulate one of my own. The first attempt was purely trial and error. A dash of this, a pinch of that. A can of this and A liter of that. My own precepts about cooking was that everything that was raw had to be cooked first and that I saute the onions first before adding the garlic.
Cooking has truly evolved from something I never imagined I could do or even be capable of. To something I'd like to explore as an avenue for expression or even to generate income. But then, maybe not, since the only thing that I'm sure I can cook is carbonara. 
Women and cooking is and has always been closely associated to each other. Due to the age-old myth that only a woman should/can cook but that is not the case anymore. I have become a little bit of a cooking show fan now. I can safely say that there are relatively a lot of males in the cooking profession now specially in tv. There's Gordon Ramsay of Hell's Kitchen, Wolfgang Puck, and I absolutely adore Chef Tristan Encarnacion and Chef Rob Pengson. Even the guys from Katoque have cute antics. But then, my ultimate favorite is still a female. Quickfire host, Rosebud Benitez because she can cook a meal in just 10 minutes.

 

0 comments:

 
blog design by suckmylolly.com