Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Marriage

Being raised in a single parent household taught me that marriage is not for everyone. I see my relatives and very few of them had marriages that survived. My mom's friends are mostly single or widows. More often than not, I envisioned myself as a single parent as well, and not married. I couldn't imagine living with a husband. I was so used to being surrounded by females, my brain could not create the picture of marriage. What made it worse was that I saw bad examples of marriage all around me, in television, and in real life.

Highschool was no different. Romance was out of the question. It was frustrating to say the least. No attraction from anyone. I felt like I was the ugly duckling with no chance of having a boyfriend ever, so logic dictates that I had no illusions of getting married. I was already planning my single life and adopting a child.

College was a turn for the better. But no illusions of marriage. I was happy enjoying anonymity. Living in a different place and meeting other persons who don't know the labels attached to you was liberating. Still no visions of marriage but I did have 3 solid guy friends. Very dependable and fun to be with.

Sophomore year in college was different. My bestfriend became my boyfriend. No illusions of marriage then too. We were just trying hard for it to work and for it to last, with all bets against us. So the story continues. We were going out for around 7 years and we had to take the next logical step. A wedding. Marriage.

For us, marriage was a choice forced upon us. Not that we are regretting that decision. We would have liked a little more time but then all things are for the best. Weddings are something else as well. I love planning and helping in planning.  Marriage was something totally alien to both of us. It was different. His and My Life totally  changed when combined in a marriage.

I leave you with this. Marriage is not to be taken lightly. You can't draw lines. You can only learn and embrace compromise.




0 comments:

 
blog design by suckmylolly.com